Friday, June 30, 2006

The Move

Now I am on the verge of moving to Ubuntu from Windows. I spend 90% of my time on Ubuntu in my dual boot system. Still I'm testing the OS and so far it has being great. I can do most of the things I did in windows without any problem and sometimes better than in windows. Browse using FireFox, Email via Thunderbird, Chat using Gaim, Documentation using OpenOffice etc. And I managed to get most of the third party software to burn CDs, media players, mp3 players and popular codecs to watch dvds and divx movies. Printing, File sharing, SSH, connecting to Remote Desktops and vmware clients are also possible without any glitch. What I missed was .Net & Delphi. I don't do much development work these days and I keep my windows partition for that type of work.

Two days back, I received Ubuntu & Kubuntu CDs which I ordered from Ubuntu web site. They are shipping 3 types of Ubuntu variants for the lates release 6.06 Dapper Drake.
1. Ubuntu - The normal distribution wiht Gnome desktop
2. Kubuntu - Ubuntu with KDE (K-Desktop Environment)
3. Edubuntu - Ubuntu for the entire Family - This has lot of educational programmes for kids.

(I forgot to order Edubuntu but I managed to download it from the site.)

P.S.
I downloaded Ubuntu from a mirror site even before they officially release it :-) I did a kernel upgrade to suit my PIV Hyper Threading PC. Now it recognises two CPUs. Actually there aren't two CPUs but Hyper Threading simulates two CPUs. I installed a customised version of Firefox called SwiftFox which is optimised for PIVs. It loads and runs faster than the normal FireFox.

No comments: